In the darkness


During a time when I was overwhelmed and over stimulated. During a time when I was so sure, and completely dumbfounded at the same time. I had lost some one dear to me that had caused quite the ripple effect across my whole family and because of the outsides were crumbling around me I found myself lost and with no purpose in this loud and obnoxious world. 

A world full of supply and demand, and a world where you're nothing unless you are showing what you have, what you wear, or what your version of truth is. So for the past year I have been writing in silence. Finding me, finding me without the constant noise of "who's the best". I shut down to be reborn, both spiritually and physically. This is not the end, I'm not finished, this is only the surface.. and this next part was the beginning. 

In the darkness
it's the quiet
the lights are all off
with no choice either way
with the fan off, the air is stagnant; 
the dog baths herself, 
lick, lick, lick
STOP IT! 
the quiet makes everything louder.

No romance of a lit candle,
only the blinding light of the iPhone flashlight. Oh! how I yearn for a simpler time. 
A time of mystery, a time for suspense, now everything is known before it is a thought 
but in the darkness
the street lights are empty, and the homes are all black.
The rain sprinkles,
the fog is thick. 
In the darkness and quiet the elements are all that are present. 
Its the moment we are in.
Right now.  
Sure you wonder, "when will it be over?" 
but secretly, you wish it would never end. 
To be still, to NOT to know
what is... is.

A car rumbles past my house and splashes through a puddle.
Breaks squeal at the nearby stop sign. 
Tiny little normalcies I'd never notice with the lights on. 
I don't know where he's going or if it is even a "he"
I don't care really, but without knowing we are free to imagine. 
We are free to use our minds. 
With the lights on our minds are made up for us. We thing we have "freedom of speech", but in reality, speaking our words is where we spend most of our time. 
What is true, what is not true?
Could we, would we in a house? 
Could we would we with a mouse? 
Our life is one big continuous story, set up with several different scenarios made up by the several different choices we make. 

The quiet is nice...
the dark is over.
lights are on. 
Fan moves the stale air
I am bombarded by the sound and bright screen on my tv
the moment is gone, as a new moment arises
phone light off. 
book shuts.
pen is down. 
good night, dark night. 


just a little background note... these thoughts were written during a sudden thunder storm that caused a short black out within my neighborhood. 

Comments